Monday, April 18, 2005

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Excerpt-Adams on Dolphin Intelligence

I mentioned way back on March 8, 05 that I was going to reread the H2G2, and I have been, but usually only 1 or 2 short chapters per night. I am definitely going to be finished by April 29, which is the opening of the movie. In the meantime, I just thought I would share this part of what I read last night-chapter 23, 1st paragraph.
It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had acheived so much-the wheel, New York, wars and so on-while all the dolphins had ever done was muck around in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed they were far more intelligent than man-for precisely the same reason.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Heh! I just finished reading that book. Now, I'm reading the "Cafe at the end of the Universe"? - it might be Cafeteria. Anyway, I do plan to go see the movie. First one to go to since F911.

5:33 PM  
Blogger gaw3 said...

My favorite is "People who design items to be foolproof underestimate the capability of complete fools" or somesuch.

We're going to be vacationing in America so I hope to catch the movie.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

Yeah I got a good laugh out of that line also. I am still waiting for my little brother to finish the book before we go see the movie. I hope you have a good trip.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home