Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Glue Trap Ten Revisited

I didn't get any discussion about the glue trap ten last week so I guess I will have to go it alone. Keep in mind that I just took the pictures and then quickly tossed the trap.


click to enlarge



1. Brown Recluse, Loxosceles reclusa-I just recently posted a different one I caught on the same type of trap but it was by itself. I counted about 16 or so on the latest trap.

2. It looks like a millipede from the arthropod class diplopoda, with its 2 pairs of legs per segment. For me at this point, any further specification would just be guessing.

3. Housefly, Musca domestica - That was easy, but here are one, two, and three questions you probably didn't know the answers to.

4. Some type of Rove Beetle, family Staphylinidae is my best guess.

5. There are just so many beetles I don't think I could be more specific than to say that I think it is a ground beetle from the family Carabidae.

6. The Beetle's drinking buddy, Cockroach Order Dictyoptera, Suborder Blattaria. I thought I was better at identifying cockroaches but thats the best I can do with only this picture. Check out Blattabase: The Cockroach Homepage

7. Camel Cricket - Family Gryllacrididae or Rhaphidophoridae depending on whom you ask. I say that it is probably in the genus Ceuthophilus just becuase it is more common.

8. What a crappy picture, maybe its a mosquito.

9. Spider

10. Garlic Clove, Allium sativum - Here are some garlic plants with carpenter bees

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Henry,

I was planning to respond to your original post, but I decided to wait a while, because I had already jumped on your toad picture quiz the other week, and I didn’t want you to think I was some kind of over-eager science geek.

Then, when I was satisfied that any other science geeks had had their chance, I was ready to make my comment. Unfortunately, by then, Blogger was not cooperating.

So this is my after-the-barn-door-is-closed comment.

#4. looks to me like it could be an assassin bug nymph. The head doesn’t look like a beetle to me, and there’s no wing covers (elytra). Also, the legs seem a little long for a beetle.

#5. I thought it looked like a darkling beetle. Tenebrionidae (?)

#8. A tiny wasp. The antennas look waspish to me.

#10 Garlic! How about a little pasta to go with it!!

7:28 PM  
Blogger afarensis, FCD said...

I thought that first one was a brown recluse. Your house sounds like one I used to live in. Totally infested with them. My cat used to eat them and to this day I do not know how he did it without getting bit.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Henry said...

Yes my house is definitely infested with the Loxosceles reclusa.

Cindy, I can't really disagree with any of your assessment. I am a little disappointed that I didn't have all possibilities covered with #5; I thought I was broad enough with the family of ground beetles when I found several different species that looked similar.

You should feel free to jump on any question I put out there. I should just make it my goal to post something that I actually do know for sure, that you do not.

12:35 PM  
Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

What? No slugs under your stove?

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home