Thursday, April 21, 2005

Friday Road Ditch Blogging-Frogs


Last week I took my camera down to the farm. The ditches had plenty of water so I was able to get some good wildlife pics. Here are a couple of true frogs. The one on top I believe is an American Bullfrog-Rana catesbeiana. Note the large eardrum and it is without dorsolateral ridges. On the bottom is a Green Frog-Rana clamitans Like the bullfrog, it has a large tympanum, but it also has a pair of dorsolateral ridges running down the back which is not seen in the bullfrog. Also pictured is a clutch of eggs which I presume to be the eggs of one of these types of frogs.

Don't forget to check out The Friday Ark

UPDATE 10/10/05: Here is another Bullfrog from Snail's Tails

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Awesome! I love frogs. We used to play with them when we were kids. We would catch them and pet them, but in the end, they would get away... which is the way it should be.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to find out... does the female bull frog leave her pond to mate-- of does the male bull frog venture out from his pond? There are three of us pond owners on the block.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home