Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday's Insect: Walkingstick


click to enlarge

This is a walkingstick from the order Phasmatodea. More specifically I believe it is a Northern Walkingstick, Diapheromera femorata. I found this nice creature in my backyard lurking among the ivy. Its body was 3-4 inches long which typical for this species. To make use of their camoflauge, walkingsticks can straighten out their antennae and front legs and stay motionless for a long time, as is seen in the top picture. The bottom pic is the tail end of this individual. Walkingsticks can also grow new legs if they are knocked off.

Don't forget to check out Modulator's Friday Ark!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger chaindropz said...

My walkingstick has long legs but I don't think it could be a northener.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home