Saturday, May 07, 2005

Huxley Read Aloud..........by Hawking?

I have just read a post by AYDIN ÖRSTAN, over at Snail's Tales where he has used the read aloud feature of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 to make the English speaking program speak Turkish by using phonetic spelling. I was not aware of that feature so naturally I was impressed and wanted to play along. So I have taken a component of one of my previous posts on T.H. Huxley, which is an excellent excerpt from a biography, and converted it to pdf format so that it too can be read aloud.

Click here, to see it, then turn on your speakers, and you should be able to use the combination Shift+ Ctrl+V to have it read aloud. If not you can download, open the file, and then select 'Read Out Loud' from the View menu.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Can you make it sound like Huxley himself?

3:12 PM  
Blogger Henry said...

Well, I guess that would be the challenge at hand, now that you mention it. The problem is that I already used 2 of the 5 documents on the free trial with adobe acrobat for producing the file. Then there is the obvious problem of The Bulldog having been dead for 110 years. Of course, I assume that you meant 'Can I give it a british accent?' I don't know if I'm willing to spend the money, but if I fool around and decide that it can be done in 3 tries, I might go for it.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Henry said...

Okay, I am on it. I think I have a good shot at a reasonable British accent in 3 tries....just give me a day or 2.

8:39 PM  
Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

You are on a tight shedyool...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

You are right, and I don't have much to show for my efforts so far. I'm not so sure it is going to happen.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home