Friday, October 07, 2005

Friday Invertebrate Blogging: Spiders


There were three spiders involved when I took these pics (enlarge) a few weeks ago. I believe they were all the same species. I rounded the corner of my house, looking for unsuspecting subjects and I saw these three. The first pic shows one spider eating another. It was out on the web in the open. After one decent pic, the spider dropped the other and ran away. The victim is shown in the second pic. The bottom pic shows the third spider which was a few inches away wathcing the incident. It crawled into the cranny when the first one ran.

Also take a look at Middle-Fork's Spider with Spider and don't forget to check out Modulator's Friday Ark!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for sharing my spider with spider picture. I believe it's a jumping spider with some kind of small orb weaver, Araneidae. I'm pretty sure the spiders in your images are grass spiders, Agelenopsis. At least, the top left one matches these:
Agelenopsis 1
Agelenopsis 2
Agelenopsis 3

1:40 PM  
Blogger Henry said...

Thanks for the info and the links. Those are good pics. I would normally give the species name but I didn't expect to have much luck getting it right.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home