Thursday, July 06, 2006

Time-Lapse Photography: A Personal Breakthrough

I have always been a big fan of time-lapse photography, and I have been thinking that at some point I will be ready to drop a load of money for equipment to do it myself. However this weekend I figured out how to do it with very low cost and I am thrilled about it. First I went out to my fishing hole with a buddy, who was no help but did catch some fish. I sat my same old sony cybershot on top of my truck in a fairly steady position and stood there pressing the button about every 15 seconds. I did that for about twenty minutes. Then I came home and just viewed them in MS Office picture manager, manually pressing the forward button quickly to get the effect, which was enough to impress me. Then I just did a quick search on the web for viewing photos in sequence and I found some instructions on how to do it with Quicktime Pro. So of course I had to buy it for about 30 bucks, but after I did it, I made this video in about 10 minutes. Later on I was even able to use the Sonic digital media software that came with my computer to transcode it to a DVD so I could play it on my television. This movie is a little shaky but I am still very pleased for it to have been my first try and to have done it so unexpectedly.



Video of Cumulonimbus Clouds Forming

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger T. Beth said...

How fun! I love time-lapse movies, they almost seem like magic.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

I can't even tell you how excited I was when I realized I could do this, but I haven't been getting near the same degree of enthusiasm from friends and family that I have shown it to. Its just something I have always wanted to do.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Henry, that's fantastic. Even as a still that was a great picture, but what a neat idea!

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home