Thursday, May 12, 2005

Friday Snake Blogging Thursday Special Edition Part I: Getting Undressed


These are common watersnakes(click the pic for a larger view). They are non venomous but I think many of my friends would automatically call any of these a Water Moccasin, which is venomous, because it was near the water and it scared them. In the second picture, you can see that the snake is getting ready to molt, this is also known as ecdysis. Notice the dull color of the skin and the haziness of his eyes. Snakes are vulnerable during this time and have poor vision, which also makes them unpredictable. Healthy snakes will usually shed their skin in one piece, including the eye caps. The snake will rub its nose on rocks and other objects aid the sloughing process. This has been done by the snake in the 3rd picture. In the final shot, you see the head of a shed skin.

Don't miss Friday Snake Blogging Special Edition Part II: Snake Orgy

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sunidesus said...

Very cool shots. But then I find snakes fascinating.

9:21 AM  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Have you no shame? What's with all this nudity or near nudity you're showing?

Cool pictures! I also find snakes fascinating.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

Thanks for visiting. I couldn't help anthropomorphizing these snakes in their reproductive efforts. It seems to make things more interesting, and besides, they were doing it.

That reminds me, one time we were driving down the road and we saw a couple of dogs copulating. I honked and pointed and laughed; my wife griped at me for embarrassing them. I didn't know exactly what to make of that....but they did look kind of embarrassed.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home