Thursday, May 26, 2005

Spear Point


Following a recent post by afarensis, I began thinking of a spear point (click the pic for a larger view) that my dad found several years ago. As I commented to afarensis, the point was found on our farm. We have a nice collection from a few generations of farmers here, but this is one of the better ones. We are in the Mississippi River Valley, a few hours South of St. Louis, where there are many known Dalton sites in the area. It is in pretty good shape considering its size (about 4 inches) and how thin it is. You can see that the very tip is broken off. I will not pretend to know anymore about this subject than I do so I will just say that if I had to guess I would say it was a Dalton point, but again I know very little about this. Please feel free give your input

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger afarensis, FCD said...

Certainly looks like a Dalton point. A I'll do a little research on it though.

5:27 AM  
Blogger afarensis, FCD said...

I have done a little more research on this and it looks to me like some points that were found at the Modoc Rockshelter in Illinois. If I am correct it is related to other archaic points found throughout the area. Don't have a name for it yet - I'll let you know when I do.

10:40 AM  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

We've found several arrow heads on my parent's property, but no spear points!

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home