Saturday, May 28, 2005

Weekend Beer Review: Red Stripe Jamaican Lager


Inspired by AÖrstan at Snail's Tales, I decided it was time for a weekend beer review as well. My choice is Red Stripe lager from Jamaica. I have tried this beer a few times in the remote past and never really thought much of it. On my recent trip to the beach, I had a new experience which brought me a little closer. I sat down at a beachside bar, for a beer, when I noticed Bob Marley was playing, then I saw Red Stipe on the menu so it made sense to go for it. After a couple of songs, I noticed a familiar pattern. I looked over at the guy next to me, he was drinking a Red Stripe. That seemed interesting, so I said, "You like Marley?" He replied "Yeah sometimes." I could tell he didn't care. But I pushed it, "I think this is Legend." No response, then he left. But in his place sat a nice older man with his family. He ordered a Red Stripe, and within five minutes we found out that we had been in the same fraternity, gave the secret challenge and response followed by the handshake. We traded a few good stories over a few more beers before parting ways. That is why I am bringing to you today this smooth beer. It did not come cheaply though. There is not much diversity here and it shows in the availability of beer. This selection cost me $10.00 for a six pack. A box of 12 would have cost me $15 but they were out of those. Oh well, time to get off the computer and enjoy this Jamaican treat. Cheers!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Red Stripe, eh? I have no plans to go to Jamaica anytime soon, but if I ever come across it elsewhere, I'll give it a try.

7:10 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

That sounds good. If I would have won the powerball, I would have run out and bought a 6-pack!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Orac said...

Red Stripe is not bad. My wife and I first encountered it during our honeymoon in Jamaica, where it was one Jamaican dollar a bottle (about 25 cents). I've never actually bought it since, although I've seen it for around $7-8 a six pack before. There are much better beers to buy if you're going to pay that much.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

I could see myself paying seven dollars for it if I was in the mood. I can't get many good imports for less than $7. $10 is definitely too much, except when it is for a good purpose, like a weekend beer review.

Orac, I am glad EneMan has brought meaning to your life. I look forward to his appearance every month.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home