Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Egg (sack) Hunt


Click the pic to enlarge


Yesterday my wife's family celebrated Easter with a large meal. While the kids were hunting eggs, I spotted this egg sack. Not expecting much, I cut into it and hundreds of these new spiders came pouring out. As you can see from the bottom picture which has a couple of spiders in focus, all the little white dots in the top two pics are spiders. I don't even have a guess about the specific identification of these spiders.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger RennyBA said...

My family's Easter Egg hunt was a bit different. Take a look at my blog and you'll see what I mean :-)

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you think these spiders need some outside cause to open the egg sack to release them? I had the same experience when I came upon an egg sack as a youngling.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

That is a good question and I don't know the answer. We may need to ensnare a spiderblogger to give us the answer.

11:24 AM  
Blogger AYDIN Ă–RSTAN said...

Maybe they weren't ready to be released yet. What I mean is when the time comes, perhaps the sac deteriorates & releases the spiderlings.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Henry said...

I think you are probably right Aydin. I am still looking for some description of this process.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home